Monday, May 15, 2006

What I Learned from Forrest

I had the honor of being the featured speaker at a Mothers and Others banquet at a church in my hometown of Lisbon, North Dakota over the weekend. What a great group - and so much fun to be in the presence of friends and even relatives. My mom was in the audience, and it was the first time she's heard me speak, so that was pretty special, especially since it was a Mother's Day event.

My speech was all about what I learned from Forrest Gump (see my 2004 post about my encounter with Forrest). (And by the way - I'm the one on the right in the photo!)

What I learned from Forrest was that I used to be a lot more like Donald Trump in my business life (and my personal life, really) than like Forrest Gump (see Worthwhile's take on this comparison in the article "Is Power More Trump or Gump?" on page 39 of the current issue).

Where Trump is much more ego-based, Gump is much more spirit-based. The beauty of Gump's life is that the results speak for themselves, even when he might not be aware of the effects.

Where Trump is more dynamic (he's much more about DOING), Gump is more magnetic (he's much more about BEING) (see my 2005 post about Magnetic vs. Dynamic leadership). Where Trump's intentions involve a lot of FEAR (isn't "You're Fired" something most businesspeople dread hearing?), Gump's intentions are all about LOVE.

That encounter with Forrest Gump really did change the way I saw myself - both in my business life and my personal life.

It was fun to share those thoughts with my hometown folks. Thanks for the opportunity, Lisbon!

2 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said...

Blogs are like a box of chocolates Jodee, you never know what you're gonna get...UNLESS you're a frequent reader of You Already Know This Stuff! This is another example of why your blog is a MUST READ for everyone looking to BE great!

Thanks for sharing, and love the other 2 articles too, and yes I knew which one was you and which one was Forrest in the picture. The suit gave it away! :)

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Thanks for the comment and all your support, Phil! Another thing I learned from Forrest regarding the box of chocolates: although you may not know what you're gonna get, it's all sweet, so you might as well eat. And if you don't like the nuts, well, you just have to get over that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home